4 WEEKS BEFORE MOVING HOUSE
- Start collecting boxes and any packing materials you may need.
- Notify your Real Estate Agent/landlord of your leave date and arrange to settle any outstanding bills.
- Book a removalist if you aren’t able to do all the packing, moving and unpacking yourself. If it’s a DIY move, consider booking a trailer or truck to move large items.
- Consider a cleaner and gardener to come before your move out and inspection date.
- Start packing all the items you don’t use regularly and think about selling or donating any unwanted items.
- Create an inventory of your items – make a note of what items are fragile and may need special care when moving.
- Book storage facilities if necessary.
3 WEEKS BEFORE MOVING HOUSE
- Put all important paperwork in a box you can easily access on your final day.
- Notify anyone that needs to know of your move, such as your employer, banks, insurance providers, the ATO, other government agencies and more. You can do it yourself or use Australia Post’s Notify Organisations service for selected organisations.
- Arrange address notifications and mail redirections for:
Memberships Car Registration/Driver’s Licence
Insurance (Car, Home, Health, Life, etc) Frequent Flyer and/or Loyalty Programs
2 WEEKS BEFORE MOVING HOUSE
- Call On The Move on 1300 850 360 or complete our online sign up form: http://www.onthemove.com.au to connect the utilities required:
Broadband / Internet
Pay TV Water (Victoria only)
- If you’ve got children arrange for babysitting on moving day.
- If you’ve got pets arrange for pet minding on moving day.
- Arrange for your existing home (and new home) to be thoroughly cleaned once you’ve moved out.
- Arrange your final meter read/disconnections for your utilities.
- Organise to settle any outstanding accounts.
- Will you need to apply for a parking permit through the council?
1 WEEK BEFORE MOVING HOUSE
Arrange for property inspection so that you can recoup any bond owing to you. Take any rubbish to the local tip or arrange a skip.
Dispose of flammables.
Return any borrowed items such as library books and DVDs.
Cancel or redirect newspaper and other deliveries such as groceries.
Clean out the fridge and pantry.
Gather all important documents and valuables in one place and make sure you carry these with you during the move – passports, birth certificates, jewellery, etc.
- Don’t forget your list!
- Ensure that the items you are moving yourself (such as medications, documents and valuables) aren’t mixed up with items the removalists are responsible for.
- Do one final check of the premises to make sure you haven’t left anything behind.
- Turn off the gas, electricity, water and all switches.
- Gather all your keys including the spare ones and hand them over to the real estate agent or new owner/tenant.
- Leave a note for the new occupants, specifying your forwarding address.